Home > Will of God > The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you

When I recently searched, again, on the “will of God”, I came across the site http://nicoleleeartistry.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/concentrate-on-this/ on which is posted,

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

I commented on Nicole’s blog and asked how she would know if something is indeed the will of God versus something that would just otherwise happen? Nicole graciously responded in an email and has provided some interesting thoughts that I have condensed for time and space consideration.

• Have faith like a child that is unwavering and know that what I feel and believe is true.
  • Trust my conscience and the basics of right and wrong.
  • There is a will of God but we also have a free will of our own.
  • If you have faith in what you do not know and do not understand, trust that God will never leave you when you need Him. If you humbly ask God to make His will known to you, He will.
  • God always presents a path for us to follow, but it is up to us to choose if we want to follow that path or not.
  • If I am doing what I can to seek God’s Grace in the way I live, then I need not worry.
  • When you are not close to God, you are open to Satan’s influence.
  • God is stronger than Satan is. Being weak himself, Satan preys on people who have weak spirits.
  • Everything happens for a reason.
  • God has a plan for each one of us.
  • We serve a purpose while we are on this earth.
  • All contributions, big, small, positive or negative affect our lives and the lives of others.
  • Discerning the will of God versus that which would otherwise happen requires a relationship with God.
  • A conversation with God is required to decide what His will is.
  • There is nothing wrong with deviating from that path, because God will be there to guide you and protect you if you have faith.
  • If you choose to go your own way and do not seek God’s guidance, then that road you are following will be much more difficult than if you had sought God’s will.
  • Things become confusing when people are not close to God.
  • People profess skepticism and doubt when they do not have a relationship with God.
  • Do not forget the importance of being thankful to God for all that He does for you!

Nicole sums up her email this way:

If you seek to do the will of God, and you ask for His guidance and blessings and influence in your life, and you open your mind and senses to hear Him speak to you when you need it most, then you will know God’s will because He will make His will known. It is up to us to listen! If you choose not to ask, and you choose not to listen, it is a choice you make. However, if you choose to ask and choose to listen – ask God for what it is you need and He will provide – seek and you will find.

There are some of Nicole’s thoughts that I agree with and some of which I have significant disagreement with. I’ll close here and post more on this later. Please feel free to add your own $0.02 worth. As I’ve stated before, the matter of God’s will in the life of the believer has been something that I’ve struggled with and have tried to understand for some time. Many thanks to Nicole for her time and effort in answering my question regarding differentiating between God’s will and something that would just otherwise happen.

About these ads
  1. April 12, 2008 at 5:32 am | #1

Best of Luck to anyone seeking deeper wisdom and understanding on this topic.

Ultimately, whether you understand “God’s Will” or not, it would be a beautiful thing if everyone could find inner peace and contentment! I’ve been filled with discontent before and it’s not a fun place to be- my relationship with God is personal and my comments are how I feel about MY relationship with God. I’m not saying other people are wrong if they disagree with my beliefs.

It’s different for everyone, and it’s up to you to decide how you will arrive at your own views and opinions. God Bless!

2. Bob
    April 13, 2008 at 10:31 am | #2

Thanks for your recent comment, Nicole. I’ve been told that I’m overly analytical and insufficiently relational in my search for the truth regarding God’s will in the life of the believer. Criticism accepted. For now, I’m most comfortable approaching this subject in this manner and I liken this search to one who has not accepted Christ as their savior – wanting to do some background investigation and determine if Jesus is who He says He is? To that end, it’s not my intent to be disagreeable or otherwise argue for the sake of argument. So, please, take what I say with a grain of salt. I don’t claim to be right. I’m just searching for the truth as best I can.

Nicole’s thoughts/statements
    • My $0.02 worth

When you are not close to God, you are open to Satan’s influence.
    • I suspect that the closer we draw unto God and the more we allow the Holy Spirit to indwell our lives, the better we can allow that love to pour out of us. As such, I don’t see this as a God’s will thing. In addition, I’ve always thought that no matter how close one’s relationship to God is, Satan is always ready to tempt or otherwise influence. Jesus being tempted after a 40 day fast is one example that immediately comes to mind.

God has a plan for each one of us.
    • Must I figure out what God’s plan is? Are God’s plans mostly hidden or otherwise “scrolled” out little by little? I like Keith Drury’s perspective: God’s plan is for me to be saved, read the word, pray, worship, disciple other believers, put off sin, put on righteousness, clothe myself with godliness, exhibit the fruit of the spirit, and become holy so that every thought and deed is as pure as Christ’s is.

We serve a purpose while we are on this earth.
    • Do we serve a heavenly purpose, or an earthly purpose, or both? It would seem reasonable to conclude that we serve a heavenly purpose by honoring and worshipping God. On the other hand, are we not here for an earthly purpose to spread the love of God?

• The apostle Paul had a deep and committed relationship to God. Yet, there are many instances listed in the New Testament where Paul appears to make a decision without having first “consulted” with God. Reference (my loose interpretation), Phil 2:25 (I think it’s a good idea), 1 Cor 16:3-4 (If it seems the right thing to do), Acts 6:1-7 (We need to do something about this), Acts 15:24-29 (People got together, debated, decided, and then acted)

A conversation with God is required to decide what His will is.
    • I recall a Henry Blackaby study entitled Experiencing God. Mr. Blackaby emphasized the need to “hear God’s voice”. However, from my reading and understanding of scripture, the Bible does not teach that receiving personal revelations from God is ordinary or expected. More to the point, James 1:5 implores us to ask God for wisdom. I’ve always found it interesting that we’re to ask God for wisdom – not direction. In my opinion, we have the book of Proverbs for just this reason – to make wise decisions. From my perspective, God isn’t concerned about the decisions we make so long as those decisions don’t lead to or otherwise constitute sin.

3. Vicki Russell
    January 22, 2009 at 10:21 am | #3

This is not a biblical quote. There are several instances where His followers have had harm done to them, other instances where when in harm’s way, they did not. It all depends on God’s WILL / purpose.

4. Bob
    January 23, 2009 at 5:31 pm | #4

Dear Vicki,

Thank-you for your comment. I understand that the phrase, “The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you” is not a biblical quote. I don’t know the origin of the phrase – perhaps Nicole does. It was from her blog that I first came across the phrase. In any event, I find your comment, “It all depends on God’s will/purpose” most interesting. If you wish, I’d welcome any elaboration you could provide. The question that I asked Nicole – and to me is still unanswered; how does one know if some event or occurrence is indeed the will of God versus something that would just otherwise happen? I hope to hear back from you.

Sincerely,

Bob

5. Vicki
    January 23, 2009 at 9:17 pm | #5

Bob, I am not sure it matters if it is the will of God. Whether it is or not, whatever it is has happened and all you can do is react to it.
    Must say, there have been times I have felt a strong urge/need to Do a certain deed. As it turned out, those things I did were very much needed by the people the deeds were directed to. Those are times when I felt very much that I was ‘listening to God’, i.e., God’s Will.
    Concerning “God has a plan for each of us”, I agree with all the things you listed, Bob, and would say that His plan for each of us involves what we do with our lives to show each of those things to others around us.
    I would say that our heavenly purpose here on earth is to spread the love of God by our words & actions. Once we are in Heaven, it is to Praise God. That’s my understanding.
    Bob, you said, “I’ve always found it interesting that we’re to ask God for wisdom – not direction.” In my opinion, I think when we are asking for wisdom, we are also asking to Know what direction He wants us to take.
    Vicki

6. Dawn Burton :)
    April 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm | #6

What a wonderful thing to read. I really like what Nicole said and believe it myself to be true. Very well put into words. :) Have a wonderful Easter tomorrow :)

7. May 12, 2009 at 3:11 am | #7

The will of God is of peramount important as far as christians are concernt.

8. Allan
    May 30, 2009 at 11:32 am | #8

Good Question Bob, there are several ways to look at this question. The bible suggests there are two spiriual forces at work in this world, God’s spirit, which is love, peace, caring, essentially everything good. The devil’s spirit, lying, stealing, killing, hurting or everything bad. I wonder whether there are any events that as you say, “would just ordinarily happen.” maybe there is no inbetween area, it’s either good or its bad. In Genisis 3v5 when eve eats of the fruit of the tree, she is told by the devil that she will be like God, knowing good and evil. Later in the chapter v22 God confirms this when he tells adam that “man has become like us, knowing good and evil.

Here’s a different slant. What is God’s will for us. In Matthew 22v36 Jesus tells us to “love our God with all our hearts, soul, and mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” We are not able to love like this until we have first been loved. The greatest expression of love is Christ dying for us on the cross. His sacrifice pays for our sins, makes us acceptable to God. His love and our faith justifies us. Any action based on a love for God or others is within God’s will. If it is not based on love, such as selfishness or deceit, than it is not within his will.

Your thoughts and comments welocme.

Allan

9. Sister
    October 25, 2009 at 4:29 am | #9

“The Will of God” poem was written by Pastor Rick Myers from Harvest Christian Fellowship in 2000. Pastor Rick was seeking Gods will (plan) in Pastoring a church in Thousand Oaks. Torn by the descision, a friends of his called him and confirmed it. This was the poem or writing that followed shortly after.

10. November 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm | #10

i enjoyed the message this email had to offer. god works in mysterious ways. the message was clear. thank you.

11. CAROLINE HAAG
    February 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm | #11

I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT WERE THIS CAME FROM ALSO I LOVE THIS AND I HAVE IT IN MY OFFICE WERE EVERYONE WHO ENTERS CAN READ IT IT HAS TOUCHED SO MANY LIVES AND OPENED DOORS THAT MIGHT HAVE NEVER BEEN OPENED TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE LOVE OF GOD THANK YOU HOW EVER SENT THIS TO ME AND I HOPE GOD BLESSES YOU AS HE HAS ME OVER AND OVER AGIN LOVE IN CHRIST

12. joseph matlou witbank south africa
    February 27, 2010 at 7:16 pm | #12

this is powerful a supplier of my company in south africa uses the phrase the will of god…………..on all his emails.i have always wanted to know more about this statement and i believe that i have gained insight and it is the will of god that brought me to this site and his grace is protecting me.to ntimba my supplier thanxs god uses u

13. May 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm | #13

thank you nicole for very power thoughts

14. Godfrey Chambani
    August 27, 2010 at 7:36 am | #14

I salute you Nicole for this powerfull thought. God’s grace is powerfull in our life.

This is a phrase I have been using and I like quoting this.

God bless and use you

15. July 26, 2011 at 1:14 am | #15

I know this is way late in responding but these points are wonderful. In fact, I might “steal” a few of these points for one of my sermons in the future. I’m not Calvinist but I do believe all Calvinists are my Brothers & Sisters in Christ. God bless you and thank you for this post.

-Pastor Sung Kim
    Cornerstone Community Church
    Redding, CA

16. Baskaran Nair of Malaysia
    January 23, 2012 at 5:38 am | #16

*”The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession
    of it seems to me the deepest root of all evil that is in the world.” Max
    Born*

A great many people think they are thinking when they are actually
    rearranging their prejudices

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Amidst all our high speed rat race, I am just seeking to simply my message
    to you. That is from one soul to another.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a
    nail !

• Bob
      January 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm | #17

Thank-you for your comment, Baskaran. I find your comment about every problem beginning to resemble a nail if your only tool is a hammer to be humorous and yet somewhat profound. Given your Max Born reference, I presume that you do not accept the concept of absolute truth. However, it’s my guess that most Christians do believe in absolute truth. Just curious, but to what belief-mechanism (for lack of a better term) do you compare and contrast the validity of any thought or belief?

17. February 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm | #18

I am just so thrilled that Carol (and many others) are asking those kinds of questions. It means they are hungry for something deeper than themselves. A longing for their Creator who has created us each unique, but with one thing in common: a God sized void that can only be filled by Him alone. All other things do not completely satisfy, or satisfy temporarily. I have been walking with the Lord for 10 years now & I can honestly say I have never been the same again & don’t ever wish to be that “old man” again!

Theologians have argued the question of God’s will for centuries. Everyone may understand it a little different either because of their own life experience or how they view the Word of God. I can only say that God is good, all the time. There is all light, there is no darkness in Him at all. However, He has give man a free will to choose. Adam & Eve chose to disobey God & there are always consequences to disobeying God’s commands. Just as a loving parent has to discipline a child after disobeying the parent. God is a loving God as well as a just God. He cannot tolerate sin, but His love for humanity is one we can never fully fathom. He loves us more than we love our own children. He loved us so much that He gave His own Son to pay the penalty for our disobedience.

There is a few scriptures that come to my mind when talking about the perfect will of God when terrible things happen. The first one is God’s ways are higher than our. In other words, He sees the big picture, we only get a small glimpse into what He sees. He is also eternal & we usually only see things in this temporary life time. The one I like the most is God uses all things for good, for those who love Him & are called according to His purpose. In other words, it doesn’t matter what the situation is, if we let Him, He can restore everything to be better than it was before (maybe not even in our lifetime or something that we can see here). We don’t know how many other people we don’t know may be affected by a tragedy & what lessons can be learned that build our faith or character because of it.

I am just so thankful that He kept pursuing me until I finally surrendered myself to Him. Make no mistake, the devil is called “a liar and the father of all lies” he can twist & turn any half truth into whatever he knows our weakness is for his benefit. If he can get us to doubt the goodness of God in our lives or in the world, he has been successful in his whispering lies. Test the spirits & see if what you are believing is coming from the Word of God directly or if it’s just our own thinking or belief system we have come up with through the years or if someone is lying to us. He is a very subtle advosary sometimes, coming up with a small nagging doubt that can escilate into something much bigger.

OK, I could go on forever. Just wanted to say how thankful I am to God for His great love for me & how thankful I am for His people who wrestle with Him & work out their salvation. Grace & peace be with you always. May the God of all hope fill you to overflowing by the power of His Holy Spirit!

18. Anonymous
    February 25, 2012 at 2:05 am | #19

I thank you for this page.. and thank god that i reached to read it… please keep me in your prayer and those reading too.. please pray for me..

19. February 25, 2012 at 2:07 am | #20

Its so true all the lines .. thank you.. helped me to hold this moment.. please keep me in your prayer..

20. Maria
    March 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm | #21

I am so inspired by the saying…I’m not in a good space right now but I knw God is surely with me and my Family whom I love as a mother and wife.Please keep us as the Johnson family in ur prayers…I will keep u updated how amazing it is when u have faith.Thanks Nicole u words of incouragement brought tears to my eyes and u where my angel.God be with u and ur ministry!
    Warm regards,
    Maria

21. Maria
    March 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm | #22

Awesome…Be blessed !

Maria

22. Anonymous
    July 19, 2012 at 5:00 am | #23

God’s will is most amazing and works for you if you BELIEVE. There are no two ways about what God can do for you if you only BELIEVE. It’s not rocket science – but simple as that. Amen.

23. anonymous
    November 30, 2012 at 8:20 am | #24

Nicole, What an awesome testimony. I was googling something else and came across this blog. It was the confirmation I needed today. I believe that God has worked in my life and has given me unmeasurable grace. For this I am grateful. I understand. Listen and you will hear.

24. Baby K Roy
    December 26, 2013 at 10:21 pm | #25

‘ The will of God’ has taken me to many a difficult situations in my life and I have always experienced the protecting hand of God (‘ Grace of God’ ) which enabled me to face and tackle these problems. Thank God for that assurance.Though its not in the Bible its very much biblical.

25. Darius
    January 23, 2014 at 3:15 pm | #26

The Will of God for our lives is summed up in John 16:28-29 (KJV) which reads:

28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Some preachers make the Will of God to be some mystic and mysterious thing but in all actuality if you’ve excepted Christ as Lord and Savior, as it is written in Romans 10:9 (KJV), then you ARE doing the Will of God.

9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Being Saved is all you have to be to do the Will of God. What fallows after this is being baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit. Once you’ve become marked and set apart live your life for God. Renew your mind and meditate daily by reading and reciting God’s Word.

The commands from here on for True Christians is that you be Perfect, living always with a Perfect Heart.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

If we go by this worlds definition of perfect will totally miss what Jesus calls Perfection, which is us Truly Loving people. That’s how we’re made Perfect and counted as Children of God, because truly we genuinely Love. Remember as well, that long before Jesus gave us this command to be Perfect, Hezekiah who was sick unto death cried out to God and reminded Him that he kept a Perfect Heart. Isaiah 38:1-6 (KJV) because of his heart having been Perfect, Hezekiah not only recieved 15 extra years to his life but also God defended the city.

1In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. 2Then Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, 3And said, Remember now, O LORD, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.

4Then came the word of the LORD to Isaiah, saying, 5Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years. 6And I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria: and I will defend this city.

Simple right? We do God’s Will by believing in Christ and we fallow His command to Love and become Perfected by it. Easy. But there’s another thing we have to do. We have to walk out this Christian life daily. What I’ve gathered from reading about what many believe to be God’s Will is doing acts? A good start for ministering comes from our Fasting.

No I don’t mean stop eating and drinking. I’m talking about the kind of fasting God wants us to do. Isaiah 58. I won’t post it because you should do your homework yourself. However I encourage you to read it and do. Then you’ll know God in new ways, and have a deeper connection with Him within your personal relationship with Him.

I hope this opens a lot of eyes and ultimately blesses you. May God Bless You.

1. No trackbacks yet.